Thursday, May 5, 2011

Strange Things Are Happening

We started out our marriage living in a 3rd floor apartment above a bar.  It was a perfect sized apartment for just starting out.  The summer was hot and we just happened to have gift cards.  Ethan went out and bought an air conditioner unit for our front room.  It was magical.  Just what we needed!

One morning I was making Ethan breakfast before work.  I saw this small flash out of the corner of my eye and I looked down and there was a mouse, staring up at me...probably hoping to get a taste of what I was making.  I froze, panicked.  Ethan was in the shower and I was being a HUGE wuss.

Finally Ethan came out and noticed that I was upset about something.  I told him that I had just seen a mouse to which he said "we don't have a mouse, Jenna."  I again told him that YES WE DID.  Ethan just couldn't understand how we would have a mouse in a 3rd story apartment above a bar...hard to believe right!?  ;-)Anyway.  I asked him to check around.  He did and didn't find anything. 

Right before he left, I asked him to take the trash down in hopes that it would scare the mouse away.  I also asked him about the large air conditioner box that was still sitting in our dining room (this must be a guy thing to want to keep all the boxes).  I had originally thought that it was being kept to neatly but the air conditioner back into.  Boy was I wrong.  It was, apparently, a "man cave trash can".  Yes, my darling husband had been throwing his wrappers from various food items in it.  I took one look and said "I'll bet you anything that the mouse is in there."  Again Ethan replied "We don't have a mouse, Jenna."

I told Ethan to hold open the back door and I was going to grab the box and run out to the dumpster.  As I was rushing down the 3 flights of stairs a little mouse jumped out of the side of the box and over the railing and SPLAT onto the pavement.  I yelped and Ethan asked what was wrong.  "The mouse that we didn't have just jumped out of the box and it is on the ground."

Still, he didn't believe me and peeked his head over the railing of our deck and I heard him say "Hmmm...I guess we really DID have a mouse."

Oh, how naive I was to think that this would be an isolated incident...

Fast forward to the fall.  It was November of 2010 and we had just had an AMAZING weekend with our family and friends at the Iowa/Northwestern game.  Ethan and I were cleaning up the apartment and putting things back in order from the hustle and bustle of the festivities.

About 3 days later Ethan was storming around the apartment in a mad dash.  I quietly sat on the couch, thinking it was better that I stay quiet and still than get in his way trying to "help".  Finally I asked him what he was looking for and he replied "my Zune, I realized I didn't have it when I was working out and I can't find it anywhere!"  I went through the usual 'Did you look here? Did you look there?' and it was no where to be found.  This panic went on for a couple days, each day getting more frustrating than the last.  One night Ethan was frantically searching again and exclaimed "SOMEONE IN THIS HOUSE IS STEALING STUFF!!!!" 

Now, you can imagine my surprise given that there are only two people living in 'THIS HOUSE'...

I burst out laughing, I couldn't help it! "Yes, dear, someone in this house must be stealing stuff..."

Eventually we DID find the Zune...in the pair of shorts that Ethan had worn the day of the Iowa/Northwestern game....right where he left it.  ;-)

These are just two of my favorite stories of overlooked or lost items.  I'm sure I'm not the only person with a husband like this, but  Ethan has a tendency to overlook certain things.  They aren't there because he doesn't see them.

Most recently, this was true with left over enchilada's.  ENCHILADA'S!

Ethan was going to take them for lunch and went to get them out of the fridge.  He opened the door and didn't see them right away so naturally he asked where they were.  I pointed out that they were in the fridge with the other left overs.  He still didn't see them.  Finally I replied "Well, I guess someone in this house is stealing stuff again...."

He gave me that look that only Ethan can give....that "I can't believe you really got me with that one" look.  Of course they were in the fridge...behind something....but they were there.  We laughed hysterically and "some one in this house is stealing stuff" has become our go-to whenever we think we have lost something.

No comments:

Post a Comment