Friday, June 10, 2011

My roots have grown but I don't know where they are...

Have you heard!?  Chicago now has a new pizza place that is serving "QC Style" pizza.  I know, I know...what the hell is that.  Well...it's pretty much the best thing on Earth.  Ethan and I have been waiting for this place to open up and FINALLY we were able to go and taste our favorite style of pizza.   It's Harris and Wise Guys together and it hits on every memory we have of home.  Of course, we also tried the Mozzarella Sticks because Ethan loves them more than life.  After having them, I can honestly say that they will change your life.  Homemade Mozzarella and the best breading ever had...simply perfect!  We're hooked...and I'm sure it won't be long before we are meeting up with old QC friends for some reminiscing and good food.




On Monday I was fortunate enough to make it downtown to see one of my favorite bands play.  The Head and The Heart played at Millennium Park with Iron and Wine.  It was the perfect night (though a bit muggy) to sit outside and watch them do their thing.  This was my second time seeing them and, just like the first time, I sat there in awe and amazement.  I love when you can see that a band is doing EXACTLY what they want and love to do.  Their enthusiasm and joy is contagious. 



I left after their performance because I was already going to see them the next night up in Milwaukee and I wanted to get home at a decent time. I clearly underestimated how hard it would be to get out of Millennium Park. 





After begging a security guard to let me out, I made it past the barricaded entrance and on my way to the El.  I noticed, as I was crossing Michigan Ave. that more and more people were coming to the park.  Where were they going to sit?  What did they think they could see?  It didn't matter.  Apparently there were 15,000 people there that night...simply amazing.

I made it to the El and went to put money on my transit card.  The credit card loading machine was out of order and I didn't have any cash...because in 2011 who carries cash anymore?!  So, I crouched down in the 96 degree heat and dug through my purse frantically looking for change.  One dollar and 20 cents.  I walked down the stairs, sweaty and discouraged hoping that there was an ATM close by and I could get some money. Nothing.  So I walked to State/Lake - there had to be a credit card machine at this stop.  No.  So I walked down to the Red Line State/Lake stop.  I KNOW there is one at this stop.  Out of order.  Now I'm pissed, lonely, sweaty, and incredibly thirsty....

ATM...got some money and went back up to get a diet coke from Johnny Rockets to break the 20.  Line too long.  Walked next door to the cafe.  $2.21 - hand her my $20.  She literally asks me if I have 21cents.......  Back to diggin in my purse and I hand over some change.  She rings it up and some how presses $2021 as what I gave her thus messing up the change amount.  OMG.  She hands me 19 dollars back and my drink cup.  Now remember - I gave her my 20 dollar bill and 21 cents...she hands me 19 dollars back........I kindly told her that she only owed me 18 dollars and quickly grabbed my cup and filled up.  Walked back up the 3 flights of stairs to the Green line State/Lake stop and got on the next train.  To say that people looked at me funny would be an understatement.  The girl across from me stared unabashedly as I slurped down my drink and feverishly wiped my sweat from my head.


Tuesday night I had a site visit out in Rockford.  I then hopped in my car and drove to Milwaukee, WI to see The Head and The Heart and Iron and Wine perform at Turner Hall.  Amazing venue, by the way.  Got in with my brother and sister-in-law and waited for the magic to happen.  Was there any doubt that The Head and The Heart would be amazeballs?  No, there was not.  Then Iron and Wine came on.  Decent and entertaining and very good for the first portion of their set....not so much for the remainder.  "Jammy Jams", as my brother and I say, took over and they totally lost the focus and energy of the crowd.





No matter what, that drive and long day was worth every thing.  I had the chance to say hi to the band and listen to them talk to my brother about going to the DoeBay Fest this year.  He's an amazing writer and has an ear for music.  Always amazes me that he's deaf in one ear and is tone deaf and can still tell what good music is.  He's introduced me to some great bands and maybe he can do the same for you...


It's been a busy week.  Concerts, site visits, dinner with friends, and a dear friends wedding this weekend that I will surely blog about with pictures. 



1 comment:

  1. I can't WAIT to live closer to you (hopefully soon) so Steve and I can check out that pizza place with you and Ethan! It looks amazing!!! And for the record, mozz sticks might be a genetic thing...I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete